Wednesday 13 November 2013

David Suchet on Curtain

David Suchet first played Hercule Poirot in 1989's The Adventure of the Clapham Cook (©ITV)




At what point in Poirot's life do we meet him in Curtain? 

You meet him as Agatha Christie wrote him; a little sunken old man in a wheelchair, still with his  dyed black hair and moustache, but clearly arthritic.

Did you enjoy filming with Hugh Fraser (Captain Hastings) again? 

It was lovely to be reunited with Hugh and have him back on set.

Do you remember your last day filming on the set of Curtain

Yes I do! In a sense it was odd because we filmed this adaption slightly out of sequence and so my final scenes weren't actually what you might imagine them to be. The nature of filming is quite extraordinary! 

If Agatha Christie was alive today, would there be anything you would like to say or ask her? 

Yes, 'Was I okay? Would you have approved?' Only because I know she was famously anti everybody that played her characters.

Since you accepted the role in 1987, how has Poirot changed across the years? 

Well, I hope very little, as I didn't want him to change too much. He's got older as I have over the years and I fleshed out certain areas of his psychology and his life. 

How would you like Poirot to be remembered? 

I would love Poirot to be remembered fondly and it goes without saying he is the greatest detective in the world.

Read the full interview (©ITV) here

Curtain airs at 8pm tonight on ITV

25 Years, 70 Films
Agatha Christie's Poirot
1989 - 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment