Wednesday 30 October 2013

David Suchet: "I would have walked at some points"

©ITV 

Today, Hercule Poirot actor David Suchet reveals he almost walked out of the show before any episode aired, 25 years ago. The reason was a disagreement with the director of The Clapham Cook, Ed Bennett. Suchet wanted to do a scene where Poirot placed his handkerchief on a bench before sitting down, an act Bennett described as "ridiculous". However, Suchet argued that this is the way Agatha Christie wrote him, and if he didn't like it he would leave. Au revoir.
Suchet said “If I lost the argument, it would mean that my custodianship of Poirot’s character was in severe jeopardy – so much so that I really thought that I might not be able to go on playing him,” says the actor in the book. “I had to play the character she created, I was certain of that. I would not compromise.”
In the end, producer Brian Eastmen decided David Suchet was right, and now one of Poirot's main characteristics could be portrayed. 
I think that one of the best things about David Suchet's iconic portrayal of Poirot is the subtle character traits. He rarely gets powerful moments (although Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile do), his skill is through all the little eccentricities, like the handkerchief and others. 

In other news, Suchet has revealed he would like to play Poirot on the big screen, his favourite to remake would be The ABC Murders. This would be fantastic, but they did a tremendous job on the TV adaption.

Dead Man's Folly airs tonight at 8pm on ITV

No comments:

Post a Comment